Extreme and Aggravated DUI
Yuma Lawyer for Aggravated DUI Provides Staunch Representation
Dedicated Attorney Stands by Your Side
As if being arrested for DUI was not bad enough, you learn that the authorities are charging you with an extreme or aggravated DUI. The stakes just got raised astronomically, because you’re now accused of a felony for which you could do serious prison time. Your hope for a positive outcome depends on the facts of your case, but also on the quality of criminal defense representation you receive. With the Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C., you get experienced defense counsel from a former prosecuting attorney. We know how to fight against prosecutorial tactics. If you’ve been overcharged, we’ll effectively assert your rights. We’ll force the authorities to prove every element of their case beyond a reasonable doubt, and we’ll work to achieve the best results possible.
What Is an Aggravated DUI in Arizona and What Are the Penalties?
An aggravated DUI is charged when a driver has blood alcohol content (BAC) above the legal limit of 0.08 percent and an additional fact warrants a more severe charge. Arizona law lists these types of aggravated DUI:
- DUI while a child under 15 years of age was in the car — Class 6 felony
- DUI when the driver had two or more prior DUIs within seven years — Class 4 felony
- DUI while the driver’s license was suspended or revoked — Class 4 felony
- DUI while the driver had an ignition interlock device — Class 4 felony
The penalties are as follows:
- Class 6 felony — The maximum is two years in prison and a fine of $150,000 plus an 83 percent surcharge. The mandatory minimum is six months in prison, fines, surcharges, 12 months of required counseling, 12 months of ignition interlock and a license revocation with possible eligibility for a restricted license.
- Class 4 felony — The maximum is 3.75 years in prison and a fine of $150,000 plus an 83 percent surcharge. The mandatory minimum sentence is four months in jail, with fines and surcharges amounting to several thousand dollars, counseling, ignition interlock for 24 months and a three-year license revocation.
The penalties listed above are for drivers without prior felony convictions. Maximum incarceration times increase drastically if you have had one or more prior felony convictions.
What Is an Extreme DUI in Arizona Law and What Are the Penalties?
If your blood alcohol registers 0.15 percent or higher, you can face charges of extreme DUI. Penalties are as follows:
- First offense extreme DUI — The minimum is 30 days in jail and a fine of $2,500; completion of an alcohol and drug screening, treatment, and an education program; ignition interlock requirement for every vehicle you drive; and community service.
- Second and subsequent offense extreme DUI — The minimum is 120 days in jail and a fine of $3,250; driver license revocation of 12 months; completion of an alcohol and drug screening, treatment, and an education program; ignition interlock requirement for every vehicle you drive; and community service.
Arizona law also allows for super extreme DUI to be charged when BAC is 0.20 percent or higher.
Extreme DUI Law Firm Protects Your Rights and Manages Consequences
As you can see, the penalties for an extreme or aggravated DUI conviction are severe. If you’ve been arrested on either of these charges, a skilled and determined criminal defense lawyer can give you a fighting chance. Prosecutors often overcharge cases when they don’t have sufficient proof to make the charges stick, and faulty or unlawful police procedures can weaken a case as well. Put our experience on your side and improve your chances of a positive outcome.
Contact a DUI defense attorney for a free consultation and fast action
Call the Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. today at (928) 224-3230 or contact us online to discuss your DUI case with an experienced lawyer serving Yuma and the surrounding parts of Arizona. We handle all types of DUI charges, including extreme and aggravate offenses, and ensure that your rights are thoroughly protected.
He aggressively, but tactfully, fought for my voice to be heard in court and he went the extra mile.- David K.
I highly recommend them if you need to file bankruptcy.- Bob R.
Mr. Hineman was very helpful.- Walter R.
If you're in trouble, do not hesitate to call on Mr. Hineman's help.- Kristian H.
If you want a fantastic lawyer, Mr. Hienman is your man.- Belinda G.
Over 30 Years of Legal Experience
Wide Range of Legal Services Available
Results-Driven Legal Strategies
Retired Judge Advocate & Proud Veteran
Compassionate & Responsive Service
Phil Hineman has been providing bankruptcy, family law, and criminal law services for the community for over 25 years. Reach out to discuss your case today.