Sex Crime Attorney in Yuma, AZ
Protecting Your Rights & Your Reputation
If you have been arrested for a sex crime, it is important to know that Arizona laws are extremely tough in these situations. A conviction could lead to an extended mandatory prison sentence. In fact, you might find yourself facing life in prison. Even when a prison sentence has ended, the tag of sex offender will change your life forever. The Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. can defend you in these serious cases.
Do not wait to call (928) 224-3230 and schedule a free consultation. Se habla español.
A Former Prosecutor Who Knows How to Fight Sex Crime Charges
Our more than 30 years of experience will help strengthen your case. You will also benefit from being represented by an attorney who has served as a criminal prosecutor and has a deep understanding of criminal law.
The benefits of being defended by a former prosecutor are many. Perhaps the most important is that it means we have stood in our opponents’ shoes. We have seen their tactics in action. We have seen the counter-tactics that are most effective against them. It’s our knowledge of those counter-tactics that allows us to pursue the best possible outcome in your sex crime case.
Defense Against All Sex Crime Charges in Arizona
Sex crime charges and their penalties can vary dramatically based on the facts of the case. Examples of sex crimes in Arizona include:
- Failure to register as a sex offender: Anyone who has been convicted of a sex crime must register as a sex offender, whether that person intends to reside in Arizona permanently or temporarily. Penalties for failing to register vary depending on the offender’s prior conviction. At best, failing to register results in probation; at worst, the offender can be sentenced to 15 years in prison.
- Sexual abuse: Intentionally or knowingly engaging in sexual contact without consent is a class 5 felony if the victim is 15 years of age or older and a class 3 felony if the victim is younger than 15 and the contact only involved the female breast. If the contact with a victim younger than 15 involves areas other than the female breast, the charge is child molestation, a class 2 felony.
- Sexual assault: Intentionally or knowingly engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with any person without consent is a class 2 felony.
- Sexual conduct with a minor: Commonly called statutory rape, this is the most serious sexual offense against a child. If the victim is a minor under the age of 15, the offense is a class 2 felony, subject to enhancements as a dangerous crime against a child. If the victim is older than 15, the crime is still a class 2 felony if the perpetrator occupied a position of trust. If the victim is 15 years of age or older, the crime is a class 6 felony. It is no defense to claim that the victim consented.
- Sex trafficking: Causing another person to engage in prostitution or sexually explicit performance by deception, force or coercion is a class 2 felony. If the victim is under the age of 18, the offense is subject to enhancement as a dangerous crime against a child.
- Sexual exploitation of a child: Creating, selling, or possessing child pornography is a class 2 felony. A prosecutor can charge a separate crime for each image in a person’s possession, each with a minimum penalty of 10 years.
- Violent sexual assault: When a sexual assault involves a deadly weapon, a dangerous instrument, or knowing infliction of serious physical injury and the perpetrator has a prior felony conviction for a sex offense, the crime is a class 2 felony, and the punishment is for the perpetrator’s natural life.
We defend you against the serious consequences you face and ensure that your rights are protected. Our strategy begins with a thorough investigation of your case. We move quickly to ensure that no opportunities to assemble exculpatory evidence pass by. We thoroughly explore every option to protect your future from the serious effects that a conviction for these charges could have.
Rely on the Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. for the legal help you need. Call (928) 224-3230 now.
Contact the Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. through our secure online form to discuss your case with an experienced Yuma criminal defense lawyer. We serve the Phoenix metro area and the surrounding areas throughout Arizona. You can count on us to start immediately so that you get the defense you need.
He aggressively, but tactfully, fought for my voice to be heard in court and he went the extra mile.- David K.
I highly recommend them if you need to file bankruptcy.- Bob R.
Mr. Hineman was very helpful.- Walter R.
If you're in trouble, do not hesitate to call on Mr. Hineman's help.- Kristian H.
If you want a fantastic lawyer, Mr. Hienman is your man.- Belinda G.
Over 30 Years of Legal Experience
Wide Range of Legal Services Available
Results-Driven Legal Strategies
Retired Judge Advocate & Proud Veteran
Compassionate & Responsive Service
Phil Hineman has been providing bankruptcy, family law, and criminal law services for the community for over 25 years. Reach out to discuss your case today.