Yuma Drug Crime Attorney Fights to Protect Your Rights
Experienced representation focused on results in state and federal cases
Have you been arrested for a drug crime? Even a relatively minor charge, such as marijuana possession, could have serious consequences. Major charges related to drug trafficking could result in a lengthy prison stay if you are convicted. You have the right to defend yourself against the charges. The Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. can help.
Drug crime defense from a former drug charge prosecutor
When you enlist our law firm to defend you against a drug crime charge, you will be represented by an attorney who has more than 28 years of experience. Perhaps more important, you will be represented by an attorney who has served as a criminal narcotics prosecutor.
What does our background mean to you? We know how the opposition handles these cases. We know their methods, because we’ve used their methods. We know what works against them, because we’ve seen it happen from their side. You can be confident in our ability to protect your rights against drug crime charges.
Defense against all state and federal drug charges
Whether a case involves marijuana, cocaine or any other controlled substance, we can handle it. Our experience allows us to take on all misdemeanors and felonies in state and federal courts, including drug possession and drug trafficking.
If you are arrested by state or local police for a simple possession, your case comes under state law. Arizona criminal law divides illicit drugs into the following categories:
- Marijuana — The resin from a genus cannabis plant and seeds capable of germination
- Prescription-only drugs — Approved drugs generally considered safe under a doctor’s supervision but that are nevertheless illegal without a valid prescription
- Narcotics — Highly addictive substances that reduce pain, cause drowsiness and induce sleep
- Peyote — Hallucinogenic cactus with the active ingredient of mescaline
- Vapor-releasing substances — Substances that release toxic fumes
- Dangerous drugs — Named drugs that are considered hazardous, including hallucinogenics such as mescaline, stimulants such as amphetamines, depressants such as lorazepam, and anabolic steroids
Whether your case is a misdemeanor or a felony and what degree it is depends on the type of drug and the weight in your possession.
If your case results from a border stop, federal authorities have jurisdiction. This brings unique challenges, because U.S. Attorneys from the U.S. Department of Justice oversee prosecution. You also face severe penalties under federal law, including mandatory minimum sentences of five and 10 years for drug trafficking if you are caught with the following amounts:
- Heroin — Five years for 100 g and 10 years for 1 kg
- Powder cocaine — Five years for 500 g and 10 years for 5 kg
- Cocaine base (crack) — Five years for 28 g and 10 years for 280 g
- Marijuana — Five years for 100 kg and 10 years for 1,000 kg
- Methamphetamine (pure) — Five years for 5 g and 10 years for 50 g
- Methamphetamine (mixture) — Five years for 50 g and 10 years for 500 g
Whether you face state or federal charges, we can overcome the challenges, and we don’t back down without a fight. Negotiating with the opposition can frequently lead to positive results, but we aren’t about to give up when zealous prosecutors refuse to be reasonable. You can be certain that we will go to trial and fight for you if that’s what it takes to protect your rights.
Contact us for a free consultation and fast action on your drug case
The Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. believes in acting quickly to see that no opportunities are missed. If you’ve been arrested on drug charges in Yuma, the Phoenix metro area or the surrounding parts of Arizona, we are here to help. Call us today at 928-257-1155 or contact us online to discuss your case with an experienced criminal defense lawyer.